Nine named to University of Arkansas Sports Hall of Honor
Join the team
If there's one thing Razorback fans know, it's that anything can happen. Sign up for our free headlines and never miss another play.
Nine former University of Arkansas student-athletes will be inducted as members of the 2013 class of the UA Sports Hall of Honor this August.
The honorees include two of the most punishing running backs in school history, a pair of Olympians and a former Razorback basketball star who hit a memorable last minute shot to down No. 1 North Carolina.
The 2013 class includes:
• UA All-century football team member Barry Foster;
• All-Southwest Conference running back Dickey Morton;
• four-year basketball letter winner Charles Balentine;
• Olympic track and field medalist Calvin Davis;
• All-America baseball infielder Greg D’Alexander;
• Olympian and All-America swimming star Cheryl McArton Ward;
• All-America women’s track and field standout Edel Hackett; and,
• Heritage Era football lettermen Don Christian and Buddy Sutton.
The 2013 inductees were elected to the UA Sports Hall of Honor based on a vote by former Razorback letter winners in conjunction with the A Club.
"We are proud to welcome these former Razorback student-athletes into the UA Sports Hall of Honor,” Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Jeff Long said in a statement. "The 2013 class is comprised of inductees from six of our sport programs including some of the most accomplished student-athletes in Razorback history. We look forward to celebrating their athletic careers and all of their contributions to the University of Arkansas at the official induction banquet this August.”
Beginning on Tuesday (July 16), ArkansasRazorbacks.com will begin a series highlighting the 2013 inductees. Each day one of the nine inductees will be featured.
The 2013 class will be inducted during the Hall of Honor weekend, Aug. 30-31. Hall of Honor weekend includes a golf tournament at the Fayetteville Country Club and an induction banquet at the Holiday Inn Convention Center in Springdale.
Inductees will also be recognized during half-time Arkansas’ season opening football game against Louisiana at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium.